So, yes, the video above is actually an ad for some scotch. But, this morning, as I watched this video at the Suffolk ASSET Conference ( a conference that focused on technology in education) during George Couros' keynote address, I might have cried a little. Or a lot.
George Couros said, "We need to make the positives so loud, that the negatives are hard to hear." This resonated as the negatives have been getting louder for me lately. All the difficulties and challenges of teaching have been overshadowing the ways teaching can be amazing. I've been thinking so much about how impossible it feels, at times, to do this job well. Thinking these thoughts does not change anything about the challenges and it just makes me feel frustrated, angry, and powerless. Basically these thoughts are not serving me.
I recently listened to the Rise podcast with Rachel Hollis where she was interviewing Nick Santonastasso. Nick was born without legs and with one arm. He is a body builder, model and a global motivational speaker. It was an incredible interview, but his message was mostly to focus on the things you can do and think positively. His parents were told there was a 70% chance he wouldn't live when he was born, but they focused on the 30% chance he'd survive instead. Nick talked about doing one thing each day to move you forward as a human being, especially those times you feel stuck or down. I found his story to be so incredible and in line with the presentation this morning.
It seems the universe is sending me signs that I need to shift my mindset to a more positive one. Or maybe it's my Instagram feed. From Rachel Hollis this morning: "You have to choose to be positive, to see possibility and to see the blessings in your life each day. You choose your thoughts, and there isn't one thing running through your mind that you don't allow to be there." (From Girl, Stop Apologizing).
I wrote about this earlier this month, but my thoughts are still in my thoughts! I am really going to work harder to have a positive mindset this week and put my energy towards that which I can change.
How do you keep positive?
Kathleen Neagle Sokolowski